- Colby This cheese could double as a stand-in—visually, at least—for cheddar, considered the best cheese for grilled cheese. It’s a similar yellow-gold hue, and also a cow’s-milk cheese.
What cheese is best for grilled cheese?
And the Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese is…
- Monterey Jack. This mild, creamy white cheese is an even better melter than cheddar, and is extra lovely mixed with a little sharp cheddar.
- Blue / Chevré.
Which cheese is best for sandwich?
The 8 Best Cheeses for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 of 8. Brie.
- 2 of 8. Gruyère.
- 3 of 8. Mozzarella.
- 4 of 8. Muenster.
- 5 of 8. Provolone.
- 6 of 8. Goat Cheese.
- 7 of 8. Old Canadian Cheddar.
- 8 of 8. Monterey Jack.
Is shredded cheese better for grilled cheese?
→ Follow this tip: Thinly sliced cheese is a good start, but there’s still a better method: grated cheese. It melts more evenly and quickly than slices, and you’re guaranteed to have just the right balance of toasted bread and melted cheese.
Is cheddar cheese good for grilled cheese?
Cheddar. Cheddar has a crowd-pleasing flavor and melts well on a grilled sandwich. Look for a sharp white cheddar to bump the flavor up a notch or experiment with flavored cheddars like spicy jalapeño or hickory-smoked.
Is mayo or butter better for grilled cheese?
The ingredients in storebought mayonnaise have a higher smoke point than butter, which means your grilled cheese lunch is more foolproof. You can cook the sandwich over (slightly) higher heat for a crisper exterior and fluffier interior. Mayonnaise is also way easier to spread across your bread.
What kind of cheese is good for melting?
What Cheese Is the Best for Melting?
- Colby. An all-American cheese, Colby is firm but mild-flavored and creamy.
- Havarti. This Danish easy-melting cheese has a mild aroma and flavor with hints of butter and sweetness.
- Monterey Jack.
- Smoked Gouda.
How many slices of cheese are in a grilled cheese?
Two slices of cheese are usually standard for a grilled cheese sandwich. Using one is usually too little, but using more than two may result in a messy sandwich with cheese oozing out of the sides. Of course, it depends on the thickness and type of cheese.
Is Gouda a melting cheese?
Gouda. Younger Gouda melts brilliantly (aged Gouda is usually labeled as such, while younger varieties often have a red wax coating).
Why are my grilled cheese sandwiches soggy?
Anything less than 1″ will make a flimsy, soggy grilled cheese and anything too thick will not allow the cheese to melt properly. Thick-cut classic white bread that you find in the super market can work, but avoid Wonder Bread or similarly squishy bread. Go for a block of natural cheese that tastes good and melts well.
What comes on and In N Out grilled cheese?
The secret menu In-N-Out Grilled Cheese is two slices of melted American cheese, hand-leafed lettuce, tomato, spread, with or without onions on a freshly baked bun.
Is Velveeta real cheese?
Velveeta is a brand name for a processed cheese product that tastes like an American cheese. It was invented in 1918 by Emil Frey of the “Monroe Cheese Company” in Monroe, New York. In 1923, “The Velveeta Cheese Company” was incorporated as a separate company, and sold to Kraft Foods Inc. in 1927.
Does Swiss cheese melt well?
High-quality Swiss has that unique nutty flavor and melts perfectly, but make sure you use the good stuff; sometimes it can get a little oily. Emmenthal, true Swiss cheese, is one of the primary cheeses used in fondue.
What cheese goes on hamburgers?
Start with a Classic Cheese
- Cheddar. One of the most popular cheeseburger helpers is Cheddar cheese, which gives a cheeseburger a nice “tang” with bold flavor.
- Monterey Jack.
- Goat Cheese.
Perfect Grilled Cheese
- Serves 4 people
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Calories: 436
Two slices of toasted golden bread are sandwiched together with melted cheese. It is the outcome of perfecting a classic that we have come up with: the ideal grilled cheese sandwich!
You Know You Want It
A grilled cheese sandwich is similar to seeing someone yawn in that it is absolutely and utterly contagious to the observer. The pan begins to heat up, and you can almost taste the creamy mayo and butter beginning to flow through the softly roasting bread as the pan heats. When the first bite is eaten, a knife crunches through the perfectly crispy and toasty sandwich, and melted cheese oozes out the sides. And that’s the end of you—you’re no longer alive.
The Best Grilled Cheese Recipe EVER.
Isn’t it true that we all like a tasty grilled cheese sandwich? But, have you ever attempted to make an enormous grilled cheese sandwich on your stovetop at home? What I’m talking about is the type of cheese pull that goes on for miles and crispy, perfectly golden brown rims of buttery bliss. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you get it wrong, or it comes out a bit dry, or the cheese isn’t completely melted, but it’s always delicious. We’re here to show you how to create the finest grilled cheese you’ve ever had, so you’ll never be disappointed again!
How To Make Grilled Cheese
Anyone can cook a decent grilled cheese sandwich. We want you to know, however, just how to prepare the best grilled cheese sandwich possible. As is always the case, technique is key. The success of our grilled cheese recipe is dependent on a few critical factors:
- Heat on a low setting. You can’t hurry a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. When cooking on a low heat, the bread toasts gently (and does not burn) while the cheese melts
- Both butter and mayonnaise are used. Yes, we’re proposing that you should use mayonnaise to prepare your grilled cheese! This is not the time to cut corners, my friends! Grilled cheese is a delectable treat no matter how you slice it (we’re diagonal people, after all). Just go ahead and make a statement! Ensure that it is flawless and then enjoy it
- Cheese that has been shredded. If you’re cooking a grilled cheese sandwich, shredded cheese will melt more rapidly and evenly than slices
- Therefore, it’s the best choice.
- White bread is a type of bread that is white in color. A fantastic toaster that is classic and straightforward. Moreover, it does an excellent job of soaking up all of the melted butter and creamy mayonnaise
And the Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese is…
We love ordinary old cheddar cheese—either sharp or medium, depending on your preference—but a fantastic grilled cheese sandwich can be created with a variety of various cheeses, and our grilled cheese recipe will work with nearly any cheese you choose as long as it is soft. Here are a couple excellent melters to get you started:
- Monterey Jack. Combined with a little sharp cheddar, such as Gruyère, this light, creamy white cheese melts even better than cheddar and is really delicious. Gruyère is an Alpine-style cheese that is commonly accessible in the United States. It is used to produce a highly delicious grilled cheese sandwich known as Raclette, which is nutty and pleasantly salty. Once again, this is a lovely Alpine-style cheese that is almost designed for melting. Blue / Chevré is a washed-rind cheese that has a funkier flavor than Gruyère and can undoubtedly elevate your grilled cheese to a more sophisticated level. The addition of tangy chevré or sharp blue cheeses to a grilled cheese sandwich can be delectable, but we prefer to use them sparingly and in combination with mild, melty cheeses like Jack or cheddar
And the Best Bread for Grilled Cheese is…
White bread, please! If you can find it, try to get it thick-sliced. Even the most ordinary mushy, delicate white bread will crisp up wonderfully in the skillet and serve as a toasted, pleasantly neutral vessel for all of that cheese.
Tools You’ll Need to Make The Perfect Grilled Cheese:
- Skillet made of cast iron
- Sturdy spatula
- Grater for cheese
Variations On The Classic Grilled Cheese:
After you’ve mastered the fundamentals, why not experiment a bit more? These grilled cheese recipes will take your grilled cheese game to a new level of excellence.
- Featuring spinach, avocado, sprouts, and a herbaceous spread to pull it all together, this green goddess grilled cheese is a delicious way to start the day
- Sweet peas, mint, and Black Forest ham come together in this ham, gruyère, and sweet pea spread grilled cheese to create a sandwich that is decidedly spring-inspired. In this tart and creamyroasted rhubarb-and-chèvre grilled cheese with spring onions, you can put your garden vegetables to good use. In this insanely craveable grilled ham and cheese sandwich with red pepper jelly, complementary swiss and cream cheeses form a dynamic duo when juxtaposed against some sweet heat
Grilled Cheese Perfection, Right?
We hope you like our grilled cheese recipe, and we would love to hear how it turned out for you! Take a picture, post it on Instagram, and tag @themodernproper and themodernpropersso that we can all bask in the glory of that melted cheese splendor with you, too. Enjoy your meal!
Perfect Grilled Cheese
- Serves 4 people
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Calories: 436
- 8 slices of thick white bread
- 4 tablespoons of butter 4 tablespoons of good mayonnaise 1 pound of room temperature butter Cheddar (or any other cheese of your choice)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and the butter until well incorporated. To assemble the sandwiches, apply the butter-mayo mixture on one side of each piece of bread and sandwich together. 1/2 cup grated cheese should be placed on the interior of the bread, which should be topped with a second piece of bread that has been made using the same butter/mayo mixture. Place the prepared sandwich in a cold cast iron pan and cook on a low heat for a few minutes. Keep a close eye on the pan to ensure that the butter-mayo does not burn, and flip the pan as soon as one side is golden brown before continuing with the other side. This procedure should take 8-10 minutes each side on average. Do not speed through this procedure or you will lose the crunchy golden crust that makes a great grilled cheese so delicious. Cook until both sides are golden brown on both sides, then transfer to a platter and serve
- There are 436 calories in this serving, which contains 29 grams of protein, 11 grams of carbohydrates, 30 grams of total fat, 0 grams of fiber, 59 milligrams of cholesterol, 988 milligrams of sodium, and one gram of total sugar.
Well, how was it?
- Have you tried this dish once or twice (or many, many more times than that)? What did you think of it? Please let us know how it went by clicking on the Write a Review button above.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe (VIDEO)
There are two types of grilled cheese: good grilled cheese and great grilled cheese. The ideal grilled cheese sandwich has a crisp, buttery surface and gooey cheese middle, which can be made using this recipe. You will become well-known for your Grilled Cheese Sandwiches if you use this mix of cheeses, as well as the procedure for buttering and grilling the bread. Nothing more than a bowl of Creamy Tomato Soup to sink your sandwich into. It is possible that this content contains affiliate links.
Every hot sandwich, from our Crispy Chicken Sandwich to our Philly Cheesesteak, is a favorite here.
This Grilled Cheese dish is a family favorite that everyone in the family enjoys. Who could ever resist such a magnificent cheese pull? See for yourself how simple it is by watching the video lesson. All you need is a skillet and a spatula to make this dish.
Grilled Cheese Video Tutorial
If you liked this video, please consider subscribing to our YouTube channel (P.S. Click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video).
What is Grilled Cheese?
Grilled cheese has been a staple of the American sandwich scene since its inception in 1920. Initially made with American cheese, but now usually prepared with one or more different cheeses, it is a hot sandwich made with buttered and toasted bread and originally filled with American cheese.
- Tougher-sliced bread, such as Texas toast or French baguette, is preferred. 1 1/2 tablespoons butter per piece of bread is a good amount to use. We use unsalted butter, but any type of butter would do
- We utilize a blend of sliced medium cheddar, gouda, and Havarti cheeses for the cheese
How to Make Grilled Cheese
- Spread 1/2 tbsp butter on one side of each slice of bread and toast it until golden brown. Heat a skillet by placing it over a low to medium/low heat setting. The temperature of a griddle should be 275 degrees Fahrenheit. Add 2 pieces of bread with the butter-side down to the pan right away
- Make a cheese sandwich by stacking cheeses on one piece of toast and then covering them with the second piece of toast and flipping the sandwich over. Brown the toast– Continue sauteeing, turning once, until both sides are golden brown and the cheese is melted
- Remove from heat and serve. To serve, split the sandwich in half on the diagonal to make a triangle shape.
How long should grilled cheese be cooked? Cooking time for grilled cheese over low to medium/low heat is around 6-7 minutes total time. That is enough time for the outside to crisp and brown while also allowing the cheese to completely melt within the sandwich.
Tips for the Best Grilled Cheese
- Low heat is required for the perfect grilled cheese, and it requires a little patience. Keeping the heat on low will allow the cheese to fully melt as the bread toasts to a golden brown and crisp texture. If the browning is occurring too quickly, reduce the heat. Use a substantial amount of butter– the amount of butter may appear excessive, but it is necessary for a crispy surface. Use thick-sliced bread — we like to use Texas toast since it’s sliced nearly twice as thick as regular sandwich bread, which makes it ideal for sandwiches. Ideally, your bread should be between 3/4 inch and 1 inch thick
- However, avoid bread that is too thick, since your cheese will not melt correctly. It is not uncommon for sandwiches made with too-thin bread to be fragile and even mushy in the middle.
What can I use to make a grilled cheese sandwich? You may use a cast-iron skillet or any other nonstick pan for this recipe. Try using a griddle or flat stovetop, or even an apanini press, to cook numerous sandwiches at the same time. Is it possible to broil a grilled cheese sandwich? Grilled cheese, contrary to its name, is not really grilled. Grilling is an option, but you’ll want to maintain the heat on a low setting to avoid scorching the bread before the cheese melts completely. What is the greatest type of cheese to use for grilled cheese sandwiches?
Monterey Jack or even American cheese can suffice in this situation.
While mayonnaise may appear to be more easy to put on the bread, it will impart a mayonnaise flavor to your sandwich, which is why we choose butter.
Serve Grilled Cheese with
Grilled Cheese is a favorite of ours when served with Tomato Soup. Tomato soup’s acidity and richness make it a perfect accompaniment to a cheese sandwich. You may also use the following to serve:
- Refrigerator Pickles
- Marinara Sauce
- French fries
- BLT salad
- Potato Wedges
- Salad– particularly fresh Green Salad
Reheating Grilled Cheese
You may prepare this sandwich ahead of time; simply allow it to cool to room temperature before covering and refrigerating for 3 to 5 days. Ideally, you should reheat it in the same manner in which it was originally prepared.
- In a pan over medium-low heat, cover with a lid or tent with aluminum foil and heat until the cheese is melted in the middle, turning once throughout the process. The cover holds in the heat, allowing the cheese to melt. Once the cheese has melted, remove the cover to allow the bread to crisp up. In order to avoid the bread becoming mushy and soggy, we recommend that you avoid microwaving it as much as possible.
More Sandwich Recipes
In the event that you enjoy this Grilled Cheese Sandwich, you won’t want to skip out on these other popular sandwich recipes:
- Reuben Sandwiches, Smash Burgers, BLT Sandwiches (with Secret Sauce), French Dip Sandwiches, and Juicy Burgers are some of the options.
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Preparation time: 2 minutes Approximately 28 minutes to prepare Time allotted: 30 minutes In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to prepare the greatest Grilled Cheese sandwich with a crisp, buttery surface and a gooey cheese middle. Natasha Kravchuk is a Ukrainian actress. Easy to learn skills Making it will cost you between $8 and $10. grilled cheese, grilled cheese sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich Cuisine:American Lunch and the Main Course are included in the price. Calories:499 Servings:4sandwiches
- 1 piece thick sliced sandwich bread
- 4 tablespoons lightly salted butter
- 4 slices medium cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 8 slices Texas toast
- Using half a tablespoon of butter, spread the one-side of each slice of bread
- Preparing the bread: Heat a pan over medium-low heat and insert two pieces of bread in the skillet with the butter-side down
- One piece of bread should have three cheeses on it: cheddar, havarti, and gouda. Once the loaves are golden brown, close the sandwich by pressing the crisp sides of the sandwiches against each other. Continue to cook until the bread is a beautiful golden brown, turning once and pressing down lightly on the bread to help it adhere to the cheese as it cooks more. The whole cooking time should be between 5 and 6 minutes. Maintain a medium-low heat to allow the breads to toast gently, allowing your cheese a time to properly melt and attach to the bread. Once you notice that the cheese has melted and the breads have browned, transfer the dish to a platter and cut it in two diagonally before serving. Repeat the process with the next sandwich.
Nutritional Values Introducing the Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Nutritional Information Per Serving: 499 calories, 297 calories from fat, 297 percent of the daily value *Fat33g51 percent Saturated Fat 19g119 percent Trans Fat 1g *Fat33g51 percent Saturated Fat 2 g of polyunsaturated fatty acids 8 g of monounsaturated fat Cholesterol89mg 30 percent Sodium904mg39 percent Potassium30 percent Potassium116mg 3 percent Carbohydrates (31g) 10 percent Fiber (2g) 3 percent Sugar (3g) 3 percent Protein (g) 3 percent of the population Protein20g 40 percent of the population Vitamin A (741 IU) is a water-soluble vitamin.
15 percent Vitamin C (one milligram) calcium is 1 percent (528mg) and iron is 11 percent (2mg). In this table, the percent Daily Values (%DV) are calculated using a 2000-calorie diet.
Hello and welcome to my kitchen! Natasha’s Kitchen is my personal blog, and I am the author of the book Natasha’s Kitchen Cookbook (since 2009). My husband and I operate this site together, and we only share the recipes that have been tried and proven in our own homes with you. Thank you for taking the time to visit! We are overjoyed that you have arrived. Continue reading more posts by Natasha.
The Best Cheeses for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
A grilled cheese sandwich may be made using only three ingredients: bread, butter, and one type of cheese. For something a little nicer, try pairing blue cheese with apples and smoked bacon, for example. Whatever style of sandwich you choose, selecting the type of cheese that will be used is a vital initial step in the preparation process. You can use pre-sliced cheese if you want to save time. Pre-sliced cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Havarti, Gouda, mozzarella, Muenster, provolone, and Swiss cheeses are the simplest to come by, as are pre-sliced Colby and Monterey Jack.
However, using cheese that is too soft to be packaged pre-sliced or that is less prevalent might result in a fantastic grilled cheese sandwich that is both healthy and delicious.
- Courtesy of Skhoward/Getty Images Many folks grew up eating their sandwiches with American cheese or Velveeta on them. The presence of cheese shamers does not prevent it from being a highly gratifying option, and the classic grilled cheese sandwich is the embodiment of comfort food. Pre-sliced and individually wrapped American cheese, as well as a brick of American cheese, is available. Photograph by Michelle Arnold/Getty Images Cheddar has a taste that is agreeable to the palate and melts beautifully over a grilled sandwich. Look for a sharp white cheddar to kick up the taste a notch, or try with flavored cheddars such as fiery jalapeo or hickory-smoked to add a new dimension to the dish. You may either buy it pre-sliced or slice it yourself to save time. You may make your sandwich even more delicious by combining cheddar with another cheese that has a smoother melting feel, such as Comte, Gruyere, or Fontina. The following fillings go well with cheddar cheese: sliced apples, bacon, turkey, mustard, chutney, cranberry sauce, and pickles. Photograph courtesy of Richard Boll/Getty Images There is a solid reason why Gruyere is the cheese of choice for the traditional French sandwichcroque monsieur. This cheese’s characteristics are seductive, with sharp, sweet, and earthy notes. Comte and Appenzeller are two cheeses that are quite similar in flavor and texture and are both equally wonderful. The following are some ideas for grilled cheese sandwich ingredients that go nicely with Gruyer: caramelized onions, mustard, thin-sliced pears, ham, and sautéed mushrooms Photograph by Seb Oliver/Getty Images Brei is a low-cost cheese that works well in a grilled cheese sandwich, bringing richness and mild taste to a meal that’s been cooked over French bread. When you try to slice it, though, it adheres to the blade of your knife. Fruit spreads, avocado, turkey, sautéed mushrooms, olive tapenade, pesto, and thinly sliced apples are all excellent fillings for Brie. Try substituting pound cake for the bread in a breakfast sandwich and grilling brie with fig jam and rosemary butter for a gourmet brunch treat. To continue, scroll down to number 5 of 6 below. Photograph by Westend61/Getty Images Blue cheese is particularly delicious when served in a sandwich on bread that has been studded with nuts and berries. Alternatively, you may use simple bread and stuff it with ingredients such as bacon, arugula, sliced pears, and honey. If you enjoy Buffalo chicken wings, make a Buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwich using blue cheese, chicken, and spicy sauce to satisfy your craving. You won’t find it pre-sliced, and it has a tendency to crumble as you slice through it. courtesy of Juanmonino/Getty Images Manchego cheese is one of the most popular Spanish cheeses that is imported into the United States of America. Although it has a little bitter and salty flavor, the cheese remains solid when cut and melts smoothly without becoming sloppy. Among the fillings that match nicely with Manchego are quince paste, serrano ham, chorizo, olive tapenade, and tomatoes, among others.
The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Everything about a hot, melty grilled cheese sandwich is quite comfortable. Tomato soup and grilled cheese are a match made in culinary heaven. It’s the ultimate quick and simple lunch meal that’s suitable for even the pickiest eaters on your list. Grilled cheese is made best when the bread is thick and the cheese is generously smothered in.buttermayonnaise on the exterior.
The Best Grilled Cheese
There are no incorrect answers when it comes to preparing this lunchtime staple, my friends. As long as you have some bread and a large amount of cheese, you’ve got the makings of the perfect grilled cheese sandwich on your hands.
Best Bread for Grilled Cheese:
This is the essence of what it means to make grilled cheese!
- Any bread will do, as long as it is tough enough to hold the cheese in place
- White bread and sourdough are the most commonly used breads, although a thickly sliced boule would also work well for a grilled cheese sandwich. To go along with lighter cheeses like Gouda or Havarti, dark rye and pumpernickel work nicely (try sandwiching a slice of pear or apple between the slices for a delicious crunch!).
What is the Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese?
Grilled cheese sandwiches are not the place to pass judgment on the quality of the cheese. Anything goes in this game!
- A conventional grilled cheese sandwich is prepared with American cheese and white bread (although I like to slip in some sharp cheddar as well)
- However, I prefer to make mine using sourdough bread. Real cheddar, a smidgeon of provolone, some creamy processed cheese, and some leftover brie from the previous night’s party. Any and all sorts are OK
- Choose your favorite or use them all! Smooth, creamy, and oh-so-delightful
How to Make Grilled Cheese
A grilled cheese sandwich is something that almost everyone knows how to prepare, but do you know how to make a great grilled cheese sandwich? Here are some of my recommendations for making the greatest grilled cheese:
- Low Heat: Low heat helps the bread to develop a golden crust while yet allowing the cheese to melt
- Open faced: If you’re planning on stuffing it with a lot of cheese and other goodies, start by baking it without the top piece of bread for a couple of minutes, covered. Although it will not become mushy, the small amount of steam will assist in melting the cheese. When the cheese has begun to melt, place the top slice of bread on top. Get a little cheesy: It really doesn’t matter what kind of cheese you use as long as it’s one you enjoy and that you don’t scrimp on the quantity. I make sure to cover every inch of the bread since no one likes a grilled cheese sandwich without plenty of cheese
The BEST Tip for a Perfect Grilled Cheese
This, my friends, is an absolute must. I create grilled cheese sandwiches without using any butter! Replace the butter on the exterior of the sandwich with mayonnaise to make it more palatable. Cook in the pan with the mayonnaise side down. When your grilled cheese is finished, it will be flawlessly golden, with a crust that will not become mushy and will not be greasy! If the pan is heated to a high temperature, the cheese will not melt before the exterior is fully cooked. If you discover that the cheese is taking longer than expected, cover it with a lid.
What Can I Add to My Grill Cheese?
Honestly, what else can you think of to add?
Grilled cheese sandwiches may be elevated to an entirely new level by the addition of caramelized onions, thinly sliced apples or pears, bacon, and even crunchy peanut butter. Grilled cheese with pepperoni is delicious, as is Dill Pickle Bacon Grilled Cheese, which is my personal favorite.
More Cheesy Recipes
- Baked Mac & Cheese–so delicious and comforting
- The best after-school snack is Gooey Cheese Sticks (fried or baked), which are delicious. Sliders with ham and cheese–a quick and simple meal
- Kids will love these Crispy Bacon Grilled Cheese Roll Ups (recipe below). Comfort food at its finest, the classic Tuna Melt is a must-have.
Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Preparation time: 5 minutes Preparation time: 7 minutes Time allotted: 12 minutes Servings2sandwiches Nothing like the warmth of a hot, melty grilled cheese sandwich on a chilly day. Served with a cup of tomato soup for dipping, this lunchtime staple is sure to please everyone!
- 3 or 4 slices white bread or sour dough
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese or American cheese
- Optional: 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
FollowSpend with Pennies on Pinterest for more information.
- Preheat a small skillet over low heat until it is hot. Spread mayonnaise on one side of each piece of bread and set it in the skillet so that the mayonnaise side is facing up. Cheddar cheese slices, freshly ground black pepper to taste, and the last slice of bread, mayonnaise side out, complete the presentation. Grill for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn the pan over and broil the other side until golden brown. The shredded cheddar can be added straight to the outside of the sandwich just before serving and cooked for another minute or two until it becomes crispy.
Calories:490, Carbohydrates: 25g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 33g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 74mg, Sodium: 739mg, Potassium: 113mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 655IU, Calcium: 600mg, Iron: 2.2 mg (The nutritional information supplied is an estimate, and it will vary depending on the cooking technique and the brands of components used). SpendWithPennies.com has a list of restaurants that serve lunch and dinner. The content and photos are protected by intellectual property rights. We invite you to share this dish with your friends and family.
Please see my photo usage policy, which may be found here.
Skip the Cheddar! We’ve Found the Best Cheese for Your Grilled Cheese.
For those who are familiar with grilled cheese sandwiches, cheddar is not the only cheese to use in them. You’re looking for a cheese that has a strong, powerful flavor and, most essential, melts quickly and easily. (Click here for 6 additional suggestions for the best-ever grilled cheese sandwich–ever! Continue reading to learn about five cheeses that are ideal for grilling between two slices of toasted bread.
This cheese might serve as a substitute for cheddar, which is often regarded as the best cheese for grilled cheese (at least in terms of appearance). It has a similar yellow-gold tint to the previous cheese and is made from cow’s milk. Colby cheese, which was invented in the Wisconsin town of Colby in 1885, is frequently used with Monterey Jack and Swiss cheese in grilled cheese sandwiches, such as this Sourdough Turkey Melt. Using deli turkey and shredded cheese, you can make this sandwich in no time at all.
Provolone cheese adds a delicious Italian twist to your grilled cheese sandwich! Provolone cheese, fresh basil leaves, and tomato slices are melted together for a hot-and-crispy take on the classic Caprese sandwich. When combined with prosciutto and hard salami, provolone makes a delectable sandwich, like in this recipe for Grilled Cheese and Prosciutto Sandwich.
3. Blue Cheese
When blue cheese is eaten on its own, it has a tangy flavor, but when it is melted with another ingredient, it becomes amazing. This delicious sandwich of fresh or dried figs (as well as fresh or dried peaches) melted with blue cheese between two slices of bread will satisfy even the most ardent sweet-toothes. Is there yet another delectable concoction? This Grilled BeefBlue Sandwiches Recipe, which includes finely sliced red onion as well as cream cheese, is a favorite among foodies around.
Muenster is one of the most controversial cheeses on the market, but it is also an excellent semi-soft cheese for grilling in a sandwich. As a variation on French Munster cheese, annatto is rubbed into the rind to impart extra taste while also imparting the cheese’s distinctive orange colour.
A peeled apple, chopped walnuts, honey, cream cheese, and cinnamon are combined with Muenster cheese in this kid-friendly recipe for Cinnamon-Apple Grilled Cheese. This seems like the ideal lunch!
5. Monterey Jack
Are you looking for a delicious alternative to quesadillas that is just as filling? By combining shredded Monterey Jack cheese with chopped peppers and onions (including a jalapeño for extra spice) and grilling it between pieces of rye bread sprinkled with caraway seeds, this Grilled Cheese and Pepper Sandwich dish is quick and easy to prepare. Are you ready to take your grilled cheese game to the next level? Use your imagination to experiment with these cheeses. And if you’re still seeking for ideas, have a look at this selection of delectable grilled cheese sandwich recipes for some inspiration.
The Best Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Using mayonnaise and butter to spread on the bread results in a deliciously crunchy crust with the well-known, lovely flavor of butter that one would anticipate from a grilled cheese sandwich. Get the recipe from Josh Rink, Taste of Home Food Stylist
Grilled Cheese and Avocado Sandwich
What person does not like a good grilled cheese sandwich? Avocado, a generous amount of cheese, and extra-crispy bread elevate this recipe to a whole new level. —Josh Rink, Food Stylist for Taste of Home
Grilled Cheese, Bacon and Oven-Dried Tomato Sandwich
Your grilled cheese sandwich will go places it’s never been before thanks to crispy bacon and acidic tomatoes, as well as five different varieties of cheese (yes, five!). —Josh Rink, Food Stylist for Taste of Home
Grilled Cheese, Apricot and Jalapeno Sandwich
With sweet and spicy additions like as apricot jam and jalapeño peppers, this grown-up grilled cheese dish strikes the spot. —Josh Rink, Food Stylist for Taste of Home
Blackberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich
If you’ve been seeking for a delicious gourmet grilled cheese dish, your quest is now finished. This sandwich is stunning enough to present to visitors because it has five different types of cheese and fresh blackberries. —Josh Rink, Food Stylist for Taste of Home
Grilled Cheese and Pickled Onion Sandwich
For a unique twist on a standard grilled cheese meal, pickled onions are an excellent choice to experiment with. When we make this sandwich, we like to put some in the middle for a bit of acidity and some culinary flare. —Josh Rink, Food Stylist for Taste of Home
Grilled Cheese and Mushroom Sandwich
The addition of earthy portobello mushrooms to your favorite grilled cheese sandwich will give it a lift. This savory dish elevates the portobello mushroom sandwich to the level of a gourmet sandwich. —Josh Rink, Food Stylist for Taste of Home
Grilled Cheese and Pepperoni Sandwich
Everyone enjoys a nice grilled cheese sandwich recipe, after all. This incredibly indulgent version is stuffed to the brim with pepperoni and five different kinds of cheese! —Josh Rink, Food Stylist for Taste of Home
Grilled Bacon-Tomato Sandwiches
These sandwiches are a hit with my family, and they are really simple to make. Fresh basil, zesty Italian dressing, and melting cheese come together to make a delicious sandwich in this simple recipe. Betty Snoddy of Franklin, Missouri, provided this response.
Gourmet Grilled Cheese with Date-Bacon Jam
This sandwich is loaded with melty cheese, but the sweet and salty date-bacon jam is the star of the show. It results in a grilled cheese sandwich that is genuinely adult in nature. Tucson, Arizona resident Kathy Cooper contributed to this article.
Basil-Tomato Grilled Cheese
The flavors of summer abound in this simple grilled cheese sandwich made in the Italian tradition.
Not only is it delicious, but it is also really quick, allowing you to get back to your summer outdoor activities. Sandra Schmitt of Sun City, Arizona contributed to this article.
Green Chile Grilled Cheese Melt
My daughter’s ultimate grilled cheese and chiles dish was a culinary marvel in my opinion. Do you want even more heat? Instead of chilies, a 4-ounce can of chopped jalapenos can be substituted. —Julia Huntington from Cheyenne, Wyoming.
Dilly Turkey Melt
This hearty grilled sandwich features a unique and delectable blend of ingredients that makes it stand out from the crowd. While the pickle slices give a splash of color, the barbecue sauce adds a hint of sweetness that makes this dish tempting. North Riverside, Illinois resident Henry Mujica provided the following statement:
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
With sliced apples on the side, these gooey grilled cheese sandwiches make a delicious lunch. In addition, they’re really simple to prepare. Make grilled cheese sandwiches the proper way with these instructions. Kathy Norris, of Streator, Illinois, sent in this message.
Green Chile Grilled Cheese Melt
My daughter’s ultimate grilled cheese and chiles dish was a culinary marvel in my opinion. Do you want even more heat? Instead of chilies, a 4-ounce can of chopped jalapenos can be substituted. —Julia Huntington from Cheyenne, Wyoming.
To add an intriguing taste variation to your grilled cheese sandwich, try this avocado sandwich recipe. Avocados give them a rich, creamy texture. Deborah Williams from Peoria, Arizona wrote in to say
ChickenApple Waffle Sandwiches
Breakfast for supper is a good idea! These delicious waffle sandwiches are quick and easy to make and provide a delightful dinner in no time. Deb Williams from Peoria, Arizona, contributed to this article.
This bacon sandwich with Dijon mustard and two kinds of cheese is the right combination of creamy-melty filling and crispy, buttery bread, and it is sure to become a favorite. South Milwaukee, Wisconsin resident Sharon Delaney-Chronis shares her thoughts on the subject.
Best Ever Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
It’s also possible to use your imagination to come up with some more grilled cheese sandwich ideas, such as adding some chives, a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese or Italian spice, or even some salsa to the sandwich. • Edie DeSpain from Logan, Utah
New Yorkers claim that my Reubens taste just like the ones served in the city’s famed delis. You can omit the horseradish if you like a milder flavor. —Patricia Kile from Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania.
Ham and Brie Melts
A grilled cheese sandwich with melty cheese, ham, and apricot preserves is a unique twist on the standard grilled cheese sandwich. These fast and crispy sandwiches have a similar texture to baked brie. Ellington, Connecticut resident Bonnie Bahler shared her thoughts on the subject.
Grilled Goat CheeseArugula Sandwiches
The addition of tangy goat cheese and spicy arugula transformed this classic sandwich into something more “grown-up.” A similar combo on pizza is one of my favorites, and it worked well here as well! — Jess Apfe, a resident of Berkeley, California
Grilled CheeseTomato Soup Bake
Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup are combined in this casserole, which is a classic comfort dish.
It’s not necessary to get your hands dirty while dipping bread into a bowl of hot soup! The best part is that my husband, who is notoriously finicky about food, devours every morsel. —Megan Kuns from Perrysburg, Ohio.
Portobello-Gouda Grilled Sandwiches
With the earthy, rustic tastes of portobello mushrooms and gouda cheese, a basic grilled cheese sandwich is elevated to a whole new level of deliciousness. Sheryl Bergman of Shady Side, Maryland, sent in this message.
The grilled cheese sandwich gets a particular makeover thanks to the use of fresh mozzarella cheese slices and the addition of delectable toppings such as pepperoni and fresh tomatoes. This will quickly become a favorite when dipped in warm pizza sauce. — Mary Monaco of Columbus, Ohio, submitted this photo.
Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
This dish was created just for the students in the foods and nutrition class that I teach. Because the youngsters enjoy it so much, they frequently bring it back to their homes and prepare it for their families. — Beth Hiott of York, South Carolina, submitted this entry.
Sourdough Turkey Melts
This sandwich with turkey and green chiles is one of my favorite go-to meals when the days are hectic. They’ll be stacked in about 10 minutes, to be honest. — Leah Carter lives in San Pedro, California, and she is a writer.
Grilled CheesePepper Sandwiches
This is a delicious and filling sandwich that may be made for one or two people. It’s a wonderful and satisfying variation on the classic grilled cheese sandwich, and it goes especially well with rye bread. Arline Hofland of Deer Lodge, Montana, provided this statement.
Mediterranean Turkey Panini
Panini are pressed sandwiches that are toasted on the outside. I enjoy experimenting with new panini recipes for my coworkers and close friends. Make many and cut them into fourths to bring to a potluck. The turkey panini sandwiches are a delicious appetizer that can be served for any occasion. Vermillion, South Dakota resident Martha Muellenberg shared her thoughts.
Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam
April is National Grilled Cheese Month, a celebration of the gooey goodness of toasted bread and melted cheese that takes place every April. It is possible that the present variant began in the 1920s, when sliced bread and American cheese were widely available. A contemporary variation with cozy farmhouse characteristics made with raisin bread combined with onion jam, prosciutto, and cheddar cheese is shown here. Susan Andrichuk of New York, New York, provided the following statement:
Bacon Brie Grilled Cheese
The classic grilled cheese sandwich has its place, but my variation includes spinach, apple, and Brie on a pumpernickel bread roll. When toasting your sandwich, push it down with a heavy pan to make it more compact. The following is from George Wilkins of Mays Landing, New Jersey:
MushroomOnion Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
With baby portobello mushrooms, bacon, and cheddar, we elevated the classic grilled cheese sandwich. It’s excellent as a nightly comfort dish, right down to the last crumb. These are a favorite among readers of my site, theseasonedmom.com. Rochelle, Virginia resident Blair Lonergan sent this response.
Grilled BeefBlue Cheese Sandwiches
The addition of roast beef, red onion, and blue cheese truly brings this premium grilled sandwich to the next level. Make the spread spicy by including some horseradish into the mixture. —Bonnie Hawkins from Elkhorn, Wisconsin
Grilled Pesto, Ham and Provolone Sandwiches
Flavors abound in these Italian-style sandwiches that are packed with zest.
Use fat-free mayonnaise to make them a little lighter. We serve them with a soup such as minestrone or a fresh green salad. — Priscilla Yee of Concord, California, is a writer.
ChickenCaramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
With the addition of chicken, sweet caramelized onions, red peppers and Swiss cheese on sourdough bread, I’ve created a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Oh, my gosh, it’s so wonderful. — Kadija Bridgewater is a resident of Boca Raton, Florida.
The Perfect Cheeses for Your Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Fried cheese sandwiches are one of the most pleasant and soothing dishes you can eat. They are crispy, melty, and salty. When the recipe strikes all of the right notes, it may transform a mundane lunch or after-school snack into something truly extraordinary. At its most basic, a grilled cheese sandwich is made up of only three ingredients, therefore it’s well worth the effort to select the best cheese available for your grilled cheese sandwich. Grab your cast-iron pan and your favorite loaf of bread (while you’re at it, try sneaking in some healthful whole grains as well), and get to cooking!
- Combine it with something that has a little more bite or funk, such as an extremely sharp Cheddar or a little smelly taleggio, to give it a little more interest.
- Make certain to choose a cheese that will go well with your bread (or vice versa).
- “Why isn’t the cheese on my grilled cheese melting?” is another way of putting it.
- If this is the case, it is possible that you have picked a cheese that does not melt well at all.
- If you enjoy the flavor of a hard cheese but don’t want to utilize it, roughly shred it so that the heat can get to it more quickly (see some of ourfavorite cheese graters here).
- No matter which sort you pick, keeping everything at room temperature is the best bet.
Our Top Cheese Choices
Cheddar: The epitome of grilled cheese perfection (in my opinion). Choose one that is medium to sharp in taste for the best melt-to-flavor ratio. American The original white bread companion — mild, salty, a touch sweet, and with a high melting point — is still around today. Deli slices have a bit more weight to them than the ones that are encased in plastic. Gruyère Because it melts so wonderfully and has just the right amount of spice without being overwhelming, this nutty, somewhat pungent cheese is a staple in the French cuisine, particularly in their famed croque monsieur.
- Gouda Known as “Dutch cheese with red wax,” it is creamy, nutty, and somewhat sweet in flavor.
- Muenster This is another favorite among children since the types available in the United States are generally mild.
- This isn’t for the filling (although it would be delicious paired with some shredded mozzarella), but a sprinkling of nutty, salty Parmesan on the outside of your sandwich can change it into a super-crunchy masterpiece, such as this one laced with jalapeo.
- It’s totally feasible – there’s a whole universe of delicious cheese to be discovered.
- She works as a Senior Food Editor for Hearst brands such as Good Housekeeping, Woman’s Day, Prevention, and Women’s Health.
This material was generated and maintained by a third party and imported onto this website in order to assist users in providing their email addresses for further consideration. You may be able to discover further information on this and other related items at the website piano.io.
Three Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Published: by: and modified: by It is possible that this content contains affiliate links (I may earn a small commission if you shop through my link, at no additional cost to you).
Tips and Tricks
What is the key to making a grilled cheese that is extra melty? After the sandwich has been prepared, I use a unique technique to sear it. As soon as the sandwich is finished, split it in half diagonally and sear the cut edges for five to 15 seconds on each side, just to melt the interior a little more. Remove the pan from the heat and quickly press the two halves together until they are cold enough to touch before serving. This will provide you with a fantastic cheese pull! What can you offer as a side dish for grilled cheese?
- While it is excellent with salads and soups such as Creamy Tomato Bisque, it is also excellent on its own.
- Three cheese grilled cheese with homemade tomato bisque transforms this childhood favorite into a sophisticated adult dinner.
- How many grilled cheese sandwiches can you prepare at the same time?
- Because you want to cook them in a single layer, most pans only allow for one to be created at a time, which is OK.
- What is the greatest pan to use for making grilled cheese sandwiches?
- Grilled cheese sandwiches, on the other hand, may be prepared in a number of pans, including stainless steel and nonstick.
In order to make the greatest grilled cheese, what is the ideal cheese mix to use? Adding more than one sort of cheese to your grilled cheese sandwich will elevate it above and beyond the traditional tastes of American cheese. Two cheeses should be tasty cheeses, such as sharp cheddar and Parmigiano-Reggiano, to complement each other. However, they do not melt as well as more mild cheeses that are younger and more delicate in flavour. Aged gouda, smoked gouda, pecorino romano, asiago, provolone, and other sharper aged cheeses are also good possibilities for delicious cheeses.
- All of these cheeses have a mild taste and are easily melted.
- The best bread is determined by your personal preferences.
- A crustier sourdough bread, pumpernickel, rye bread, or a whole wheat loaf are also excellent alternatives.
- What are the most delicious toppings for grilled cheese sandwiches?
Consider whether or not the toppings are already cooked before selecting them; otherwise, they will just be warmed through when the cheese melts. You must be careful not to overfill your sandwich since the interior will not melt or cook through quickly enough.
How do you create a grilled cheese sandwich with three cheeses? Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Next, shred your three cheeses and combine them in a mixing basin before setting them aside. Cut the butter into six equal pieces and set them away when you’ve finished with them. Once the skillet has been prepared, reduce the heat to medium low and set aside. One slice of butter should be added to the skillet and swirled around until it is melted. Add one piece of bread to the foaming butter and spread half of the cheese mixture over the bread.
- On top of it, place another slice of bread.
- Remove the brick and sandwich from the skillet and melt a second piece of butter in the skillet until the sandwich is warm.
- Continue to cook for another two minutes, or until the bread is toasted.
- Place the sandwich on a cutting board and make a diagonal cut down the middle.
- Leave it there for 5-15 seconds, or until a thin crust forms on the outside and the interior is melted.
- To prepare another sandwich, repeat the process with the remaining bread, cheese, and butter.
- After around two or three minutes on the first side, it’s time to flip your grilled cheese.
You can fry it for another one or two minutes on the other side if it isn’t toasted enough for your taste.
Simply flip it back over to the side you want to brown more and wait until it has finished browning on that side.
To avoid burning your grilled cheese, make sure that the pan is properly preheated before you begin cooking.
If it browns instantly, the temperature is far too high; reduce the heat and brush away the scorched butter.
When making grilled cheese, it’s important to keep an eye on it during the cooking process.
You May Also Like
- Grilled cheese sandwiches made in the air fryer, three-cheese buffalo chicken dip, Italian meatball sub sandwiches, leftover pulled pork Cuban sandwiches, and more.
Three Cheese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
When making a grilled cheese sandwich, use three cheeses to create the tasty but melty sandwich you’ve been dreaming of without compromising on quality. To make grilled cheese even better, once the sandwich has been toasted on all sides, cut it down the center and sear the inside of the sandwich before serving it.
This is the perfect quick and simple comfort food recipe. Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes 15 minutes is the whole time. Servings:2Sandwiches Author:Samantha
- 4 pieces of farm style bread
- 13 cup fontina cheese (freshly shredded)
- 13 cup sharp cheddar (freshly shredded)
- 13 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (freshly shredded)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat a cast iron skillet (8-10 inch) over medium heat until hot. While you’re waiting for the skillet to heat up, shred the cheeses and combine them in a large mixing dish. Set aside the butter, which has been cut into six equal pieces. Once your skillet has been warmed, reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking. In a pan, melt 1 stick of butter by swirling it around. The butter should be foaming and totally melted at this point. Check to see that the butter is not browning or burning, since this indicates that the pan is too hot
- If this occurs, wipe out the pan and start over. 1 piece of bread should be dipped into the foaming butter, and 12 tablespoons of the cheese mixture should be spread over the bread. On top of it, place another slice of bread. For best results, use a foil-wrapped brick or other press to weigh down the bread and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until it is toasted to your preference
- Remove the brick and sandwich from the skillet and melt a second piece of butter in the pan
- Remove the brick and sandwich from the skillet
- Immediately after the butter has melted, place the sandwich in the pan with the untoasted side facing up and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove the sandwich from the oven after the grilled cheese has reached the appropriate color. Using a cutting board, place the sandwich on it and cut it diagonally
- Add in a third piece of butter to the pan and drop the two halves of the sandwich, cut side down, into the pan to sear for a few seconds on each side. Leave it there for 5-15 seconds, or until a light crust develops on the outside and the interior is melted
- Immediately press the two sides together and set aside until they are cool enough to handle. Repeat the process with the remaining bread, cheese, and butter.
- Use whichever bread you choose, whether it’s a light farm type white bread from the bakery or a heartier sourdough. Make a variety of cheese combinations, but make sure that at least one of them is a nice melting cheese, such as fontina. When selecting toppings for grilled cheese, make sure they are already cooked (such as bacon or caramelized onions), as they will not cook in the grilled cheese, but will simply be warmed. I make educated guesses about how much cheese should go into each sandwich. A good beginning point is one and a half cups per sandwich. Using shredded cheese helps the cheese to melt more quickly and to introduce additional tastes into the dish more readily. Instead of a brick covered in aluminum foil, you may use a smaller cast iron skillet or even a can of soup to hold it down.
The original version of this article was published on March 13, 2019. On October 13, 2020, the book will be republished with updated photographs and clarity.
This Is The Absolute Best Way To Make Grilled Cheese
It’s all about the crust in this dish. Choose a substantial loaf of bread, butter it generously, then shred your favorite cheddar to make the finest grilled cheese you’ve ever had: crispy-crunchy on the exterior, melty, cheddar on the inside, and the most magnificent cheese pull the world has ever seen. Check out these 85+ quick and simple sandwich recipes for extra lunch inspiration! If you’ve tried this grilled cheese dish, please rate it and let us know how you enjoyed it in the comments section below!
- 1 tablespoon of butter should be spread on one side of each slice of bread. Using the butter side of the bread, top each piece with approximately 12 cup cheddar
- In a medium-sized pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat
- Place two pieces of bread, butter side down, on a baking sheet. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, or until the bread is brown and the cheese is beginning to melt. Cook for another 30 seconds after flipping one piece of bread on top of the other, or until the cheese is melted. Repeat the process for the second sandwich, wiping the skillet clean if required.
Parker Feierbach is a professional photographer based in Los Angeles, California. This material has been imported from another source. Visiting their website may allow you to access the same stuff in a different format, or it may provide you with even more information than you could get elsewhere. Makinze Gore is a food editor who works as an associate. Makinze works as an Associate Food Editor for the website Delish.com. This material was generated and maintained by a third party and imported onto this website in order to assist users in providing their email addresses for further consideration.
Favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Sometimes nothing short of a grilled cheese sandwich will suffice. You understand what I’m talking about? Similarly, there are occasions when a grilled cheese sandwich is the only vegetarian choice available to me. In my life, I’ve been let down by several grilled cheese sandwiches, so I set out to develop the best grilled cheese recipe I could find. A favoritegrilled cheese sandwich that I could whip up whenever the mood struck me was my goal for this recipe. I was looking for gourmet flavor without the use of complex components or preparation procedures.
- I should also admit that I aspire to become well-known for my grilled cheese sandwiches someday in the future.
- I want my future offspring to be able to brag about their mother’s grilled cheese sandwich making abilities.
- So, here we are, with my go-to grilled cheese recipe, which you can find below.
- Continue reading for my tips and techniques, since I have a few to share with you!
General Grilled Cheese Sandwich Tips
I’ve tried a number of different grilled cheese recipes (including some with mayonnaise on the exterior), and these are the ones that have worked for me.
1) Start with great bread.
This is not to imply that you can’t use any bread that you currently have in your cupboard; nevertheless, it is not recommended.
If you have the possibility, though, I recommend purchasing some crusty whole grain or normal sourdough bread for the most delicious flavor possible.
2) Top with high quality, sharp cheddar cheese.
Sharp cheddar has a strong taste, and that’s exactly what we’re aiming for here. A grilled cheese sandwich cannot be made without plenty of cheese, or else it will be a flop in the taste department.
3) Don’t skimp on the butter.
To produce the crackly-crisp, buttery, golden exterior that we all desire, you’ll need a lot of butter on your hands. If you have a stick of butter on the counter at all times, you may simply spread the softened butter generously over the exterior sections of the bread before baking. If you don’t have any (as I don’t), you may melt a bit of butter in a pan before adding the bread to the griddle.
4) Grate the cheese yourself.
Pre-shredded cheeses are gently coated with starch to keep them from sticking together, but the starch also stops the cheese from melting into gooey oblivion as it melts in your mouth. We’re looking for gooey oblivion.
5) Cover your grilled cheese while it cooks.
This helps to hold in the heat, ensuring that your grilled cheese has enough time to melt completely without becoming burnt on the outside.
Watch How to Make Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
This is a prank that my grandma Mimi used to do on me when I was younger. Perhaps you have come upon it in a restaurant and were curious about how it works. Depending on how non-stick your pan is, it may be a bit difficult to do this. It’s worth a shot if you have a well-seasoned cast iron pan on your hands. Alternatively, you may sprinkle some more grated cheese over the surface of the greased pan before flipping the heated sandwich over. Listen carefully, and once the cheese has ceased to sizzle, wait a few more seconds before flipping it back over.
Notes about using a nonstick skillet: I’ve always advocated for the use of cast iron or stainless steel skillets wherever practical, because they are non-toxic and easy to clean.
I’m not suggesting this pan any more, despite the fact that it was non-stick enough to create these sandwiches with no problems.
How to Make My Favorite Grilled Cheese
Here’s how to transform a simple grilled cheese sandwich into a sophisticated, gourmet grilled cheese sandwich. Take my fundamental principles (explained above) and combine them with a handful of additional elements. Your jaw will drop when you see how big of a difference it makes! If you’re cooking for a finicky eater, you may exclude these ingredients from your menu.
Spread a light layer of Dijon mustard over your bread.
I’m talking about a very thin layer of butter spread on one piece of bread. It doesn’t matter if you don’t like mustard; this will give your sandwich a little je ne sais quoi. You will enjoy it since it is a bit salty and complicated, and I believe you will.
Add green onion.
Alliums (members of the garlic and onion families) have the ability to turn ordinary meals into something completely delectable. I usually keep green onions on hand in my refrigerator, and sprinkling some chopped raw green onion (green portions only) on top of your sandwich is a simple way to infuse it with a ton of flavor. That’s all there is to it! Get ready to prepare the finest grilled cheese sandwich you’ve ever tasted with these simple instructions. Served with a bowl of traditional tomato soup, they’re the perfect dish for chilly or rainy days.
Please share your thoughts on how these sandwiches turned out in the comments section! I sincerely hope you enjoy these as much as I do. Do you want to eat more meatless sandwiches? Here are some of my personal favorites:
- This roasted vegetable and balsamic grilled cheese sandwich puts these concepts to work, but it does so by substituting roasted vegetables for some of the cheddar cheese. Nothing could go wrong with this fresh hummus and pickled veggie sandwich, which is ridiculously delicious. Although the components are time-consuming to prepare, you may make these sandwiches throughout the week. Broccoli pita sandwiches are made by stuffing a fresh broccoli and chickpea salad into a hot pita, which is then spread with mashed avocado
Favorite Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total preparation time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich 1 x Main dish falls within this category. Cooking method: stovetop
- Cuisine: traditional American
4.8 out of 5 stars based on 24 reviews Make this delicious gourmet grilled cheese sandwich dish at home in no time at all! Make it whenever a hunger arises, and it will quickly become a new favorite of yours. The recipe makes one sandwich; you may make more if you need to. If you use a big skillet, you can cook two at the same time if you are cautious when flipping them. Scale
- 2-inch-thick pieces of whole grain sourdough bread, or your favorite crusty bread 1 12 tablespoons Dijon mustard (enough to spread a thin coating across one piece of bread)
- 1 cup softly packed (3 ounces) freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, with a little more for sprinkling on the outside (optional)
- 1 cup lightly packed (3 ounces) freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese 2 tablespoons finely sliced green onion (just the green bits)
- (Approximately 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter for melting in the pan
- One slice of bread should have a thin layer of Dijon mustard spread on one side. You want to create a very thin coating of paint. Set the green onion into the shredded cheese and set it away till later. Make two sandwiches at the same time by melting a pat of butter (about 1 teaspoon) in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat (or a big skillet if you’re preparing two sandwiches at once). As soon as the butter has melted, drop the mustardy slice of bread into the skillet with the mustard side facing up. Top the slice with the oniony cheese (aim for a layer of cheese that is about 3 1/4 inches thick). Then, on top of the first slice of bread, add the second slice of bread. Remove from the heat and continue to cook for a few minutes, or until the underside of the bread is brown. Then use a spatula to carefully remove the sandwich from the skillet and put another piece of butter to the griddle. Once the butter has melted, carefully turn the sandwich over so that the other side is facing the buttered pan. Cook, covered, until the underside of the bread is lovely and brown and the cheese is completely melted and incorporated. If the bread begins to brown before the cheese has melted, reduce the heat to the lowest setting necessary. Optional, if you want a cheesy crust on the exterior of the sandwich and you’re using a pan that is genuinely non-stick: With a spatula, carefully lift the nearly done sandwich off the pan. Sprinkle a little amount of grated cheese onto the pan in a toast-sized shape, then flip the sandwich back over onto the cheese to finish cooking. Allow it to cook until there is no longer any sizzle, and then cook for a few more seconds. With your spatula, carefully lift the sandwich out of the pan. After a minute or two, transfer it to a cutting board and let it aside to cool completely. Using a serrated knife, gently cut it in two along the middle and serve while still warm.
Change the recipe to be gluten-free: Make use of your favorite gluten-free loaf of bread.
▸ Nutrition Information
The information displayed is based on an estimate supplied by a nutrition calculator on the internet. It should not be construed as a substitute for the advice of a licensed professional nutritionist. You can find our complete nutritional disclosure here.